Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My TV Show


For the first time, I’ll be participating in the National Health Blog Post Month (NHBPM for short).  Every day in November I will attempt to post a blog following the list of prompts provided by Wego Health, a website that is committed to “Empowering health activists to help others”.  This is a bit daunting but I’m going to give it a shot!  I’ve already missed day 1 (I’m forever late to the party) but here I go with day 2!

I’ve often thought that anyone who bothered to watch my life or peek into my days would die of boredom.  My life isn’t full of adventure or drama; hilarity does not ensue, other than those times when my grandsons are around.  As wonderful, comfortable and rewarding as my life is to me, it can’t be all that scintillating to the rest of the world.  So what type of TV show would my life with diabetes be?

Reality?  Nope….just not enough eye-rolling, cat-fighting drama around here.  (Snooki, I’m not.) Comedy?  Maybe, although my humor is pretty low-key and sarcastic most of the time.  Crime Drama?  Hmmm…..that dinner I made recently might have needed some CSI type investigating.  I’ve got it!

“What’s My Blood Glucose Number?”
A game show dedicated to attempting to decipher Kate’s blood sugar levels.

Hello and welcome to What’s My Blood Glucose Number, starring Kate and her wacky pancreas.  Here’s how our game works: Kate will test her blood sugar levels first thing in the morning (to see how her stubborn internal organs were acting overnight), before and after certain meals (to determine if that helping of “fully loaded carbs” was worth it or not), and occasionally in the evening (to find out if she can truly have a bit of that yummy dessert!) Before she sees her test results we’ll all place bets on whether or not she will:  growl in frustration, throw her meter across the room, burst into tears, do the happy dance,  or…..

In order to assist you in determining just what your wager will be, we will provide you with detailed information about what Kate had to eat, how much exercise she got and what type it was.  We’ll also be sure to let you know if she’s coming down with a cold or has taken some out-of-the-ordinary medication that might have some effect on her glucose.  But wait, there’s more!  Is she stressed? That can definitely make a difference.

We warn you in advance….this game is not easy to win.  You may think that it will be a breeze to predict because you have so much information at your disposal, but you will be surprised.  Predicting blood glucose numbers is not for the faint of heart.  Good luck!

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days.

2 comments:

  1. HA! Love the idea of a game show! Elise and I play this often, and I've gotten pretty good. Too bad it's not a real game show, I could win some serious cash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the gameshow idea, too! I have Dysautonomia and sometimes we play Guess My Resting Heart Rate.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.