Monday, November 7, 2011

Moanday

 

I’m looking out my window on this Monday morning at another 3-4 inches of snow.  It’s a bit too early in the season for this, I’m thinking, but I can’t change that.  The nice thing is that I’m retired and it doesn’t matter that it snowed and it’s a Monday morning.  I don’t have to go out into it. <tee heeeee…oops, sorry, didn’t mean to gloat.>  Today’s post is supposed to be about what gets you down, burns you out or makes you sad.  Due to the retirement thing, Mondays surely don’t get me down any longer.  Monday is just like any other day.  However, in the world of a PWD (person with diabetes) there are plenty of things to get down about, plenty of days when I'll be sad. Where do I begin?

Back in May I participated in a week-long Diabetes Blog Week (Thanks Karen, it was so much fun!) and one of the posting prompts dealt with a similar issue to this one.  My post for that one, 10 Things I Hate About Diabetes, pretty much sums up my list of things that get me down about diabetes. I’m having trouble complaining this morning.  The words aren’t flowing out of my fingers because I’m not down today!  Today I feel pretty good about my diabetes, well as good as anyone can, I suppose.  My glucose readings have been pretty darn good lately, I’ve been exercising regularly, I’ve lost 20 lbs. and my clothes are starting to get a wee bit baggy.  What is there to complain about?  The sad truth is that the depression and sadness and anger are never that far away.  It will return, dammit.  I will have more days when I’m just freakin depressed.

Anyone who suffers from a chronic disease probably has a whole laundry list of things to bitc….complain about, right?  Heck, perfectly healthy people moan and groan like pros.  So why do we complain?  Does it make us feel better? I can’t really answer that because I’m not a doctor or expert on depression.  I do know though that it’s important to let yourself be sad now and then.  It’s ok to wallow in the darkness that comes with depression but it’s NOT ok to stay there.  At some point you have to dust yourself off, put on your big-girl panties and go on with your life.

That’s easier said than done for a lot of people.  What gets me back on track is hope.  I want to live a long life.  I want to see my grandsons grow up into interesting adults.  I want to go for walks with my sweet husband and have my family around me for many, many years.  So I hope that if I continue fighting the fight and doing everything I can to combat this disease then I will be rewarded with a long, happy life.  So bring it on Tuesday!  I’m ready for you.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.