Saturday, November 5, 2011

Just 5 Things

 


The 5 things that have changed my life, diabetically speaking:

  •  My diagnosis, for obvious reasons.  A little over 6 years ago I got a call from my gynecologist that changed my life forever.  She, almost apologetically, told me that my blood work showed elevated blood glucose levels indicating that I’m diabetic.  I should see my regular doctor, which I didn’t have.  My posts and so it begins and A Testing Zealot pretty much sum up what I went through at that time.
  • The need to change my diet.  I didn’t want to change my diet but I was being told that I had to or there would be dire consequences.  Yikes!  Changing your diet isn’t easy and it’s taken me quite a long time to get the hang of it.  In fact, I still don’t always stay on course but at least now I have a pretty good idea of what I should be doing.
  • Making exercise part of my daily routine.  This one has been especially difficult.  It’s SO hard to get into an exercise routine and SO easy to fall out of it.  When I exercise regularly I feel so much better; more energy and focus.  You’d think that I wouldn’t have trouble continuing that, would you?  Alas, I do.  In fact, the exercise bike is calling my name as I type.  This blog post: Exercise Your Right......and Your Left really has some good info on why it’s so important to exercise as we age.  It has been reported that lack of movement, more than too much weight, could be the major contributor to type 2 diabetes.  Hey folks, GET MOVING!
  • Finding a network of like-minded people.  Having diabetes, like any other chronic disease, is hard enough without the loneliness that it brings with it.  Once I found other PWD (people with diabetes) online I didn’t feel quite so lonely.  It’s so important to stay focused and not fall into a depression.  Reading that others are going through so many of the same things somehow makes it easier to take.
  • Blogging.  Starting this blog has been such a wonderful gift and diabetes gave it to me.  If I hadn’t been diagnosed; if I hadn’t needed a way to keep myself on track, I’d have never started this blog.  I enjoy blogging almost as much as I hate having diabetes.
Diabetes has changed my life in so many ways, and not all of them are bad.  I am much healthier now than I was pre-diagnosis.  I am much more aware of what I eat and why.  I know that exercising will help me to live a much longer, happier life.  I appreciate each day for what it is.  I have a desire to help others improve their lives too, hopefully before they are faced with a life-changing diagnosis.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.