Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I'm All A-Twitter

 

I mentioned in a previous post that I finally created a Twitter account. (I struggle SO much to keep from saying that I’m now a Twit.  I can’t help it.) The sole purpose of this new adventure is to up my ability to advocate for PWDs.  I felt pretty much out of the loop and realized that by participating in the diabetes dialog on Twitter I’d be able to hear about new developments or medications, converse with other people who blog about their lives with diabetes or just hear other’s thoughts about dealing with this disease.  Just maybe I’d be able to pass that information along to anyone who might read my blog.

I was so right.  It didn’t take me long to see a couple of links that people tweeted about that I feel are pretty interesting.  I’d like to share them with you.

There is an article on MSNBC called "Diabetes a growing threat to young and slim" This article focuses on lack of exercise rather than obesity in the fight against developing T2, how it’s possible to look thin but still be at risk for developing diabetes.  There is an “enormous number of people age 20 or older with prediabetes: 65 million, up from 57 million in 2007.”  Visceral fat is the culprit.  Molecular imaging expert Jimmy Bell, M.D. said, “Visceral fat is way worse than any muffin-top chub, it can cause inflammatory substances to affect your liver and pancreas, and lower your insulin sensitivity, putting you at risk for type 2.  You might look slim," says Bell, "but your insides are behaving as if you are obese."

What is the risk factor? “Neglecting exercise and regulating weight through food choices alone, a behavior plenty of young women in our diet-obsessed, desk-strapped culture are prone to. Turns out, breaking a sweat is key in lowering blood sugar, because even moderate exercise causes muscles to suck up glucose at 20 times the normal rate (regular workouts are also the only way to shed visceral fat).” Yo-yo dieting is also a big problem because you lose muscle but gain back fat.

This has been my new mission lately, to inform people about how important regular exercise is!

Another article that touches on something I’m concerned about is the growing idea that bariatric surgery “cures” T2 diabetes.  There is no cure.  You can reverse T2 and live a normal, med-free life but if you gain the weight back or fall down on your new routine you WILL begin to have blood sugar issues again.  You will always be a person with diabetes.  It must be controlled, you can’t just cut it out of your body.  This article at
Health at every size blog  explains it very well.
 
Finally, I saw a video on Yahoo that encouraged me.  watch it here The video highlights a woman, Jill Knapp, who lost 100 lbs. after being diagnosed with T2.  Partway through her quest for a healthier life she decided to enter the Mrs. Idaho pageant.  I like that her husband said, “potential health hazards.”  I like that the video shows her eating healthy foods and exercising.  I like that they say it took hard work but it was doable.  This video doesn’t say that she is cured but it shows that it is possible to fight diabetes and come out healthier with a great prognosis for a long life without the threat of complications.

All in all, I’m thinking Twitter will be a great tool for me.  I’m excited to be a part of another great DOC spot.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

Wednesday’s DBlessing

Diabetes has brought me regular exercise.  Sounds kinda silly to say that I’m blessed with a regular exercise routine, but I am.  I fought exercise for SO many years.  I never got “into” it.  I never craved it.  My first husband bought me a running suit so I could run off the baby fat from my first child.  (It was in the 70’s so it was a lovely shade of bright green polyester.  I know….You’re jealous.) He would stay with the baby so I could take the dog out for a run.  I would run for about a block and then walk to the park where I sat on a swing and let the dog run around.  Then, on the way home, I would run for the last 2 blocks so I’d be winded upon my return.  I’m an awful person for lying to him like that, but I never asked him to force me to run!  I still don’t like to run.  Anyway, obviously I wasn’t into exercising.

My lack of regular exercise, I’m sure, was a huge part of why I developed diabetes.  I’m now on a quest to spread the word about how important regular exercise is to maintain health as we age.  Thank you diabetes for finally opening my eyes to this important part of my life.  I can’t say that I love to exercise but I do it and don’t complain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.