Saturday, November 26, 2011

I Still Remember….



I still remember what it felt like to be criticized for my inability to lose weight, to stay fit.  I still remember the sadness, humiliation and anger I felt.  This criticism came from someone who was supposed to love me. I still remember thinking that it was all my fault.

It began soon after the birth of my first child.  I was told that I better do something about that “baby fat” now or it would just get worse. Looking back at pictures of myself at that time I’m amazed at how good I looked. I would give my left arm to be that “fat” again.  I found myself faced with not-so-gentle nudges to exercise.  I was reminded that the dessert I was contemplating eating wasn’t going to help.

This “fat police” harassment did nothing but make things worse.  I’m one of those people who eats when they’re stressed or sad.  I’m one of those people who bristles when told that I have to do something.  I mentioned a story in my Wednesday DBlessing post  about how I refused to jog.  The really awful thing about this is…..he was right.  I should have begun an exercise routine way back then.  I should have been more careful about what I ate.  I should have been eating healthier foods.  No, I wasn’t overweight but I got there eventually.  If I had done all that I might not have developed diabetes at 50.  Maybe it would have held off until I was 80 or 90 or…never!

So what do we learn from this story, besides the fact that I had a very critical person in my life?  We should learn how important it is to eat right and exercise but that’s not the most important lesson, in my opinion.  The lesson should be that harassment and negativity are NOT the way to encourage someone to change their ways.  There needs to be a more positive way to make someone see the light.

Therein lays my struggle.  You see, I desperately want to convey to my loved ones how important it is that they pay attention to their health….NOW!  I want to ensure that my adult children understand just how important it is.  How do I tell someone who is slowly gaining weight that they need to stop it now without hurting their feelings?  How do I make them understand how important exercise is?  I know I can lead by example, which I’m trying to do, but it’s not enough.  I just don’t know what to do. 

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J 

  

I am blessed with a wonderful husband who supports me without criticism.  He loves me just like I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.