Thursday, November 10, 2011

How Low Can You Go?


I’m going off topic today (for NHBPM) because I don’t really want to think about where the DOC will go, technically speaking, in the future.  I already feel out of touch because I don’t have a Twitter account and my phone isn’t smart.  I’m quite tech savvy but I’m content to not jump into the fray wholeheartedly. I did, however, feel like blogging today because I like the idea of blogging every day in November.  It’s quite a challenge.

Tuesday was a bad day for me, diabetically speaking.  I started out with a really nice fasting number but my post-prandial number after breakfast was high.  (my bowl of cereal was way too big).  I have been exercising nearly every morning but this day I put it off until noonish.  In the back of my mind I knew I had a high number so I figured that the exercise would bring me down nicely and all would be good!  About 2/3 of the way into my workout I started to shake and sweat.  I knew that I was going low so I stopped and tested.  61!!!  Whoa, where did that come from?  I felt like crap.  I ate something to fix the demon and could do nothing but lay down.  I felt awful all day.  I hate wasted days!  Again, I am not taking any meds that cause extreme lows.  I do not take insulin.  61 might be ok for some, but it’s awful for me.  It makes me wonder just how low a “normal” person’s blood sugar can go?  I guess it doesn’t really matter.  I don’t fear death from a severe low, thank goodness, and I will do whatever I can to prevent going too low for me.  That feeling is not something I care to repeat….ever!

So what have I learned?  I have learned that I need to pay attention to when I eat in reference to exercise.  I shouldn’t exercise if I haven’t eaten recently.  I’ve also learned, thanks to the Big Blue Test, that exercise has an amazing effect on my blood glucose!  I’ve done the test 3 times and have had remarkable results. (We’re talking 30-50 point drops!)  I know that the exercise is essential to my well-being.  Exercising has helped me to drop the weight.  I feel so much better afterward (well, other than on Tuesday).  I won’t let that silly low stop me from exercising but it certainly was a wake-up call.  Pay attention, Kate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.