Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Generic Brand: Cheaper But Just As Effective

 

In today’s prompt I’m supposed to tell you what my brand would be if I was a full time health activist.  “If you think of your online community, your blog, your site, your “presence” as a brand – what qualities and components do you present to your audience (your consumers)?”  

First of all, I need to clarify something that I’ve neglected to say yet this month:  I am not an activist.  I think of myself more as an advocate.  What’s the difference?  An activist is someone who is advocating or opposing a cause or issue vigorously.  An advocate is a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc.  I’m not all that vigorous, I’m a little more laid back than that.

Ok, now that we’ve got that cleared up, what kind of brand would I apply to my blog?  Generic.  My blog is a generic.  On the surface that might sound bland and blah, without much fanfare.  A generic blog might seem uninteresting and lacking oomph, but I don’t see it that way.  I’m a generic that you can trust.

Think about the medications you take every day.  If you’re like me and my husband, you take as many generics as you can!  Why?  Because they are so much cheaper.  They do the same thing as the full-priced brands but don’t cost you an arm and three legs.  My husband, Ray, takes one medication that doesn’t yet have a generic.  That medication costs over 300 dollars a month without insurance.  We don’t pay that much, of course, but we pay enough.  I look forward to the day when that medication can be offered as a generic because it does him SO much good and, as we get older, it will become more difficult to afford the name brand. Brand names can make me cranky with their “I’m better than the rest” kind of attitude.

My generic blog may be tucked away on a side street instead of out there on the highway but that doesn’t make it any less important.  I have things to say and I say them.  I started out just wanting to help myself stay on track with my diabetes.  Lately I’ve been more and more anxious to help others understand the disease and how they can live a great life with it, but more importantly, how others can avoid it all together!  I don’t see the need to start some grand advertising campaign to get the word out there.

Generic doesn’t mean sub-standard.  Generic means that you get the same thing without all the distraction. I hope my blog speaks to someone.  I hope that they enjoy my wacky sense of humor and get something useful from what I have to say.  That’s it.  Nothing fancy or grand.  I’m happy with that and I hope my readers are too.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

2 comments:

  1. love this post! i love your analogy!
    "generic" is awesome! whether it be meds or blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. completely useful..good source, thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.