Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dear 18 year-old Me



Dang, you’re young!  I know that you think you’re all grown up and know everything, but you aren’t and you don’t.  Don’t worry though; the learning as you grow up is part of the deal.  It makes you into me and I’m just fine, thanks.

As I was contemplating what to write in this letter, I was tempted to fill it with all kinds of advice and warnings, telling you what not to do and what you should jump into with both feet, but I had a change of heart. You see, looking back at our life so far has caused me to realize that everything that has happened had a place and a reason.

I don’t want you to get the idea that life is going to be all rosy and wonderful; it isn’t.  Your life will have some serious bumps in it and they aren’t going to be fun.  If I told them to you now it might tear the fabric of time and something catastrophic might happen!  Who knows, maybe Pat Paulson really would be elected President!  Hmmm, maybe that would have been a good thing, but we’ll never know.

Your life also has some serious YAHOO moments as well. (It ain’t all bad).  The children….the grandchildren….that one night in….um, well there’s great stuff ahead!  My point is that our life is/was well worth living.  Regardless of the bumps in the road, the trip has been amazing.  You are in for quite a ride!

I suppose, since I have this amazing opportunity to actually talk to myself when it could make a difference (and people won’t look at me oddly), I should give you just one little bit of advice: You really should eat less and move more.  I know, I know you aren’t fat.  You’re in good shape.  That bikini still fits and looks good with your ridiculously long, straight hair.  Looks aren’t the point here; health is.  You’re going to have kids and with them comes a bit of extra weight.  Lose it right away!  It really is important to exercise and eat a healthy diet….it REALLY IS!  The extra pounds you will gain will make you somewhat uncomfortable and worry about how you look but that doesn’t matter as much as how this all effects your health.  The second major bump you have in your road ahead is diabetes.  The reason I’m telling you this is that you have a chance right now to change that.  It seems that we, unfortunately, have inherited a gene from our dear ancestors that pre-disposes us to developing diabetes.  I don’t think there’s a way for you to avoid it completely, but there IS a way for you to hold it off for a long, long time.  

So, do us both a favor and try to stay as healthy as you can.  Eat your veggies….Mom was right.  Exercise every day.  Avoid eating mass quantities of sugary foods. I know it sucks, but the consequences of ignoring my advice are serious.  You may still get diabetes somewhere down the road but I’m hoping you can avoid it until you’re much, much older than I am now.

Love,
56 year-old Kate
ps: don’t worry about that thing that’s going to happen, which will remain untold.  It all works out just fine. ;-)

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.