Sunday, November 27, 2011

Adversity

 

Quote: Adversity has ever been considered the state in which a man most easily becomes acquainted with himself. Samuel Johnson

Ain’t it the truth. I believe that adversity brings out the core of who we are.  Adversity strips away the façade and shows the inner person.  Every person handles adversity differently.  There are those who fight it head on.  Some may bluster and fluster and waver.  Others might run and hide. Sometimes we might do all three!

People who have to deal with chronic illness are faced with adversity every day.  Some illnesses are more in the forefront, as in those that deal with chronic pain or other debilitating issues.  Other illnesses are sneakier.  They may not be obvious on the outside but they’re there lurking in the shadows ready to pounce on you.

Dealing with diabetes is my adversity.  Diabetes has shown me that I’m able to fight.  It has shown me that I can take on difficult tasks and succeed even though I sometimes waver.  It’s also shown me that I occasionally just run and hide.  So what kind of person does that make me?  Normal, it makes me normal. There isn’t a person on the planet, now or in the past, who hasn’t wavered or run.  Even Joan of Arc and George Washington had their bad days.  Not everyone is brave all the time, and that’s ok.  The trick is to be strong as often as you can.

I’m not feeling particularly strong today.  Today is a bad day.  Today diabetes caused me to let my son down and that makes me so very sad.  I’m probably going to wallow in that for a piece but I’ll eventually snap out of it and move on.  Diabetes is my adversity.  Some days it will win the battle but I refuse to let it win the war.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

 

Today is not a good day so it’s difficult to come up with a way that diabetes has blessed my life.  It’s a beautiful day, and I’m thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.