Tuesday, November 8, 2011

3 Truths and 1 Lie

 

To Tell The Truth: Can you find the imposters?

About  me: 

I can field dress an elk.

I once sold chewing gum to Sally Field.

I love fruitcake.

I have white water rafted in Costa Rica 


About type 2 diabetes:

346 million people worldwide have diabetes (all types).

Lack of movement as we age is a major factor in developing type 2 diabetes.

Type 2 diabetes can be cured if you stop eating sweets.

After 15 years with diabetes, approximately 2% of people become blind, and about 10% develop severe visual impairment.


Were you able to separate the truth from the lies?  I hope so.  Can we change some of those truths about diabetes to lies in the future?  I hope that too, with all my heart.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

3 comments:

  1. It is very hard for me to distinguish between truths and lies about diabetes. From my own experience, much of the official advice about a diabetic diet is a disaster.

    The typical advice for people like me, with type 2 diabetes, often seems to be to eat lots of "good" carbohydrates and then to "cover" the carbs with insulin or pills. For me, excess carbs are bad, but the drugs are even worse, often pushing me into dangerously low hypoglycemia.

    My solution, if I can ever find it, is going to have to involve proper diet and exercise, without medications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim and thanks for the comment. It's nice to find another T2 blogger. There aren't enough of us! I agree that information regarding T2 can be confusing and frustrating. It's my humble opinion that this is due to the fact that each and every PWD's condition is different. We may all have the same core issues but we each react to food and medications differently. Kudos to you for seeking out what best works for you. I wish you luck in your quest. I know you can prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm going to guess the lie about you is that you love fruitcake. (Although my mom loves fruitcake too - personally I'm not a fan!!)

    For the lie about Type 2, I know it's that it can be cured by not eating sweets.

    This was fun!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.