Friday, September 16, 2011

“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu


I’m about to embark on an adventure.  One week from today I will be boarding a plane and will eventually land in Costa Rica.  My oldest son, Eric, will be marrying his sweet Elena on October 1st on the beach at Playa Cocles, Costa Rica.  I’m actually going to leave the country.

At the age of 56, I have never set foot outside of the United States.  I’ve never been to Mexico even though I grew up not more than 2 hours from the border.  I’ve never walked on Canadian soil (although I was about 2 miles away from it once).  I’ve never even ventured to Hawaii or Alaska.  I’m a travelling virgin.   I am a virgin traveler.  I’ve not travelled much.  : /

Since deciding to go on this trip, I’ve been through many emotions.  I began as quite nervous (ok, scared), traversed the “I can do this” phase, survived the “giddier than is realistic” stage and am now happily content and excited!  I’ve researched the country; learned what to expect; listed the things I’d like to do/see; picked what book to take so I can relax on the beach and read; packed gallons of sunscreen and DEET; loaded umpteen albums, books and games on my new Ipod touch, including Skype so I can talk to Ray and my mom.  I am ready!!  I even loaded a translator on my Ipod.  Do you know how to say taxi in Spanish?  (It’s a good thing the translator app was free). But through all my preparations I didn’t really put much thought into what I’m going to eat while I’m traveling abroad.  Now I’m back to “quite nervous” (ok, scared).

For about a month and a half I have experienced better than normal glucose readings.  Things were on track with my diabetes and I was feeling great!  However, things have sort of fallen apart in the last week and I’m again struggling with higher numbers and general malaise.  Damn the luck!  I was hoping to continue my successful streak so that I could relax and enjoy my trip.  The reality is that no matter how well I’m doing here at home, traveling will undoubtedly throw me a curve.  What the heck am I going to eat?

Thankfully we will be staying in a house with a full kitchen. (A house that is right on the BEACH with its own pool, screened porch with hammock etc.  YEEHAW! <end giddy explosion>)  Being able to cook for ourselves will be a blessing but I will still have to navigate a foreign grocery store.  Will there be nutrition labels? (hahahahaha….yeah right).  I have to make certain that the dairy products have been pasteurized and that the produce is well washed.  (I hope I don’t become a germaphobe).  Dining out will be different than at home too. Yikes!  I need to remember this quote I found online:  “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener.  I don’t want to stay home.  This needs to become my new mantra.

What I really need to do is relax and not fret so much about this.  It is inevitable that my BG readings will be a tad high.  I must remember that even if that happens I’m not gonna die (I also need to remember that I’m not gonna die during that whitewater rafting trip I’m contemplating).  All I can do is my best to eat sensibly and enjoy myself.  I plan to pack an assortment of meal replacement bars and snacks that I know I can eat without much issue.  

I may be a tad uncomfortable during the 13 days I’ll be gone but it will be a grand adventure!!  “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” – Clifton Fadiman.

I am truly excited about this trip.  I will miss Ray too much. I will miss my family who can’t attend.  I will miss my exercise bike.  I will not, however, miss this chance of a lifetime; not to mention the opportunity to watch my wonderful son marry the woman he loves.  Can you see me dancing?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure Ray will be missing you too and will be waiting for your Skype calls and will still be interested in hearing about your BG readings. Note: remember to pack BG meter AND passport!...;) Love ya baby!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.