Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Victory!! Well, kinda….sorta


Beginning in January, I have been kicking butt and taking names when it comes to taking care of medical business.  I decided that this would be the year that I do it right. Not a resolution but more of a commitment to my health.  No more putting things off or avoiding possibly unpleasant exams.  I’ve done the colonoscopy, eye doctor, mammogram, thyroid scan and dentist.  There are not many places on my body left to examine!  Yesterday I had my latest diabetic checkup.  I was really anxious for this appointment because I’ve been struggling with my morning numbers for about 3 ½ months.  I was worried that my A1c had gone up.  NOT!!!!  My A1c was 6.2, which is down from my last one of 6.4.  Victory!  I thoroughly expected a higher number….creeping up toward the dreaded 7.  I was so relieved.  Dang!  I’m so close to normal!  Well, in a diabetic sort of way at least.

Not only that, but my cholesterol continues to be awesome, my thyroid numbers are fine and the scan looked ok, I’m continuing to lose weight slowly and my blood pressure is peachy.  All my hard work is paying off.  All in all I’m doing really well….except for those damn fasting glucose readings.

I came away with a new script for my Metformin and I have permission to play around with my evening dose to see if I can’t reduce those morning numbers.  I like being able to experiment.  I like this doctor.  I also found out something else that may have an effect on my fasting numbers; I should be taking my evening Metformin just before dinner!  I’ve been taking it at 9:00 PM all along.  The doctor told me that meal time is when the body produces insulin so that’s when I need the meds to help my cells accept the insulin.  It makes perfect sense but no one ever told me that.  I thought I needed to spread the meds out and take them 12 hours apart.  Silly me.  The doctor said that she would like to see my numbers in the 90’s more often.  I have a goal.

So, it seems odd to call the appointment a victory when I came away needing more meds but it certainly was a victory.  I’m still feeling giddy.  Even though I couldn’t fix my fasting numbers, I was still doing ok the rest of the day or my A1c wouldn’t have been so good.  This has gone a long way towards boosting my confidence again.  I CAN do this!  I AM doing this!  I’m so pleased to see some positive results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.