Friday, June 24, 2011

Truth in Advertising?


While wasting time on Facebook the other day, I noticed an advertisement on the right-hand side of the screen.  It said:
“Type 2 Diabetes?”
 “Tired of the hassles with managing your condition?  We manage it for you, proactively!”

There are several things about this ad that upset me, the least of which is that advertisers are gleaning enough info about me on Facebook to target their advertising.  What struck the most discordant note with me is the idea that someone else can manage my condition for me.  Really?  Aren’t we, as a society, lazy enough? Do we need someone else to manage our diabetes?  Isn’t our lack of attention to our health what helped get us in this boat to begin with?

There are so many of us who are working very hard to control our diabetes.  I’m afraid, however, that there are many more who are not.  There are too many people who are in denial or afraid or just don’t understand all that there is to know about diabetes.  It’s vitally important for us to take charge of our care; to be informed and proactive; to not sit back and let diabetes control our lives.  Yes, it’s hard work.  Yes, it’s worth it.

I was curious so I went to the website to see what it was all about.  It was a medical service where you can order your drugs and supplies as well as sign up for discounted medical plans etc.  The website itself isn’t dangerous but the come-on is, in my opinion.  We’ve all seen the ads for this “miracle pill” or that “magical exercise equipment” that try to dupe us into believing that all we need to do is buy this widget and we’ll become just as thin, healthy and beautiful as the people who are in the commercial!  These companies are making millions, and why, because people want the easy road.  People don’t want to work hard to get what they want or need.  They want the “miracle pill”.  How cool would it be to click on a link and sign up on a website for someone else to manage our diabetes?  Just kick back and let them do all the work.  Ahhhh, life is short!

I’m sorry folks, but you better be doing the work yourself or you’re toast.  Diabetes sucks and controlling it is hard work.  I may become tired of the poking and the pills; the measuring and the journaling; the exercise and the constant thinking about diabetes but the alternative is worse.  Advertising that preys on those who aren’t willing to do the work just makes the problem worse.  So here’s my plea for today:  Take an active part in your health!  Do whatever it takes to be as healthy as you can be.  DO IT!  Don’t let someone else be in charge of your life.

6 comments:

  1. So true! So True! I get tired of the TV ads for this and that pill and especially upset with the ones claiming their meter is almost pain free - Yah, Right! I am fortunate that I have no need for these people and can use the remote to change channels - sometimes several channels to ignore these advertisers.

    We do have to educate ourselves to manage diabetes - much to some doctor's dislike, but the doctor cannot be with us 24/7.

    Thanks for an excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. Hey, when you find that painless meter be sure to clue me in! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What really sucks is these legit companies having to resort to these ad tactics thinking they work for us. why not just say we offer diabetes supplies instead of insinuating more, all that happens is they end up lumped with the snake oil salesmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more, Ronnie. It's like they're assuming we're stupid. Of course, I'm pretty insulted by most advertising these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only "magic pill" I've found that helps me manage my diabetes is the love and support I get in daily doses from the diabetes online community! Love your post, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to that, Kelly! The DOC has been such a wonderful discovery for me. Thanks for the nice comment.

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.