Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Sugar Rollercoaster Blahs


I don’t like rollercoasters.  I’m afraid of heights and can suffer from motion sickness.  I don’t understand why anyone would pay good money to be scared spitless and sick to their stomach, but many do.  More power to them.

I think another reason I don’t care for rollercoasters is that feeling of no control.  I’ve posted before about how I don’t like to be out of control.  I may have a control issue.  Hmmmm.  I’m really not a control freak, really!

Other than the amusement park rides, I also dislike the blood sugar rollercoasters.  I don’t suffer from lows in the usual sense, thank goodness, but occasionally my blood sugar can drop suddenly or go lower than I’m used to.  At those times I do suffer from the same symptoms as a “real low” (without the fear of death, of course): shaky, low energy, some confusion.  I hate that feeling!  I’ve had those feelings before and checked my sugar only to find that it’s 83 or some other normal number.  It seems that whenever my sugar drops below 90ish, I get the shakes.  I’ve been told that if type 2’s are used to higher blood sugar readings, their bodies can react just as if the numbers were very low.  I just figure that I’m not normal and when I try to act normal, all hell breaks loose.  That explains so much but we’re not here to discuss my personality issues.  :P

When a diabetic’s blood sugar drops it’s necessary to ingest something to counteract.  Here’s where my rollercoaster comes into play.  I have a tendency to overdo the “fix”.  I eat the wrong thing and don’t stop when I should which causes my sugar to go too high.  That brings on another whole set of symptoms, none of which are pleasant.  Let’s just say that it ain’t a carnival ride.  This doesn’t happen to me very often but you’d think I’d remember from time to time and do things correctly!  I dislike the feeling just as much as I dislike a real rollercoaster. I avoid rollercoasters so why can’t I avoid the diabetic version?  I’m going to say that it’s because my brain just isn’t working correctly at the time and I don’t realize what I’m doing. Don’t laugh, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

In the last week I’ve had 2 “lows”.  With the first one I did my usual stupid stuff and ended up with a reading in the 220’s.  Grrrr.  I felt crappy the rest of the day.  Without insulin, I have no way to lower a high like that.  I just have to ride it out.  Of course, I could go for a walk or something to help but who wants to go for a walk when they feel like crap?  It happened again yesterday.  My sugar was 83.  I ate something….just one something….and my sugar went up to a reasonable level.  I learned!!  I paid attention and did the right thing!!  Who says an old dog can’t learn new tricks?  Woof!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.