Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What an Ignoramus!

2nd Annual Diabetes Blog Week - Day 3 Diabetes Bloopers

"Go ahead and share your Diabetes Blooper - your “I can’t believe I did that" moment - your big “D-oh” - and let’s all have a good laugh together!!"

What an Ignoramus!

Many years ago, long before I was diagnosed with diabetes, my first husband’s sister was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  She had been living with the disease for several years and yet I didn’t know much about it.  I knew that she had to watch what she ate and injected insulin but beyond that I was pretty clueless.  I also knew that there were times that she would have “episodes”.  I knew that when that happened it was something serious; that those around her needed to do something!  What was supposed to be done was a bit of a mystery to me.

All the women in the family were going to take a short road trip together.  Several cars were required to get us all where we were going and my diabetic sister-in-law ended up as my co-pilot.  We were off on an adventure and it was going to be fun!  I was a wee bit nervous to be spending that much time alone with her since I had no idea what I was supposed to do if she had issues.  As we settled into the car I looked at her and said, “You’ll just have to tell me when you’re acting weird, ok?”  :/  She burst out laughing and, for a while, it became the family joke.  I’m happy to be able to say that I am now a much more informed human being.

2 comments:

  1. hahah that is sweet that you tried! lol too funny though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I can see that becoming a family joke!!! That's really funny! In my case, I'm afraid I'm pretty weird all the time, so no one would ever know when I'm low. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.