Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Learning Experience


It’s the last day of DBlog Week and we’re supposed to blog about what we’ve learned from reading other blogs and the experience of blogging on the topics.

This has been my first experience with DBlog Week.  In fact, I just stumbled upon the whole thing a day late….I’m so glad that I did!  I only started blogging this past February and have really enjoyed the process.  It’s been good for me.  DBlog Week has opened my eyes to lots of things.  A huge thanks to Karen for making all this happen.  This must be a lot of work and I hope you know how much your effort is appreciated.

I’ve read a lot of blogs written by T1 diabetics.  I really had no idea how much work it is to deal with that side of our disease.  It’s like another whole world, isn’t it?  We (T2s) have some of the same issues but T1’s have the added layer of needles and LOTS of testing, highs and lows etc.  I won’t pretend to know all of what you deal with but I learned enough to know that it can be really hairy.  I now have a greater respect for all of you.  The fact that you can handle all that’s needed with T1 and maintain a positive attitude is amazing.  My hat is off to all of you!

Dear D moms and dads: You are the BOMB!  I raised 4 children and now have 3 grandchildren (with another on the way!).  The idea of dealing with a diabetic child is beyond me.  Parents of all kinds deserve respect and kudos for what they do to raise their children; D parents take it to another level.  I’m amazed by what you do on a daily basis for your children.  Respect doesn’t begin to describe what I’m feeling.

Participating in DBlog Week was both fun and difficult.  Pushing myself to write every day was daunting at first but I liked the topics.  I liked that others were reading my blogs and it made me feel more like a part of the community.  I also learned that I may just be addicted to blogging since I went through withdrawals when Blogger went down! 

And finally:  We need more Type 2 bloggers!!!!!  I found a few of “us” out there but we need more voices.  Happy Sunday to all of you.  I hope that I can make some more D friends after this week.

6 comments:

  1. This is great! I would love some more T2 bloggers! It is so interesting to learn about each other lives and how we deal with things. I am glad you found D blog week too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said!!! Great post, it's my first D-Blog week too!!! SO much fun was had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment and your encouraging words! This was my 2nd go-round with Dblog week and I almost didn't take part. I am so glad I did, and glad you found it as well.

    Good to have you as a part of the DOC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first time too, Kate! I'm glad you are blogging. Hope to "see" you around here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we need more Type 2 bloggers. I started my blog two years ago after getting frustrated that I couldn't find very many. I love being part of the DOC (diabetes online community) and watching it grow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you found DBlog Week and thank you so much for being a part of it. I'm glad to see more T2 blogs popping up, because I agree, the D-OC needs more T2 bloggers. I learn so much from you - and I have to tell you, in my eyes you guys have to work so much harder than us T1s. I admire you!!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.