Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Diabetes Vacation


I’m not taking a vacation with diabetes; I’ve decided to take a vacation from diabetes.  Yes folks, that’s right.  Tomorrow I will not be a diabetic!  I plan to eat whenever I’m hungry and not think about my meter.  I will eat whatever sounds good (that’s already in my kitchen) and I won’t measure it.  I won’t think about carbs and what they might be doing to my blood sugar.  I will not test!!  I just plan to be me; sometimes-too-sweet, crazy me!

Let me interject here that I am a type 2 diabetic who doesn’t need to inject insulin.  I am on oral meds (Metformin 500 mg, twice daily which I do plan to take as usual).  This would be an incredibly stupid and dangerous thing for me to do if I was type 1 or injecting insulin.  I’m fully aware of that.  I’m just so sick and tired of thinking about my diabetes that I’ve decided to take a vacation!

We’ve all taken mini vacations from our diabetes, haven’t we?  That time we went out to eat with friends and actually ate those French fries or tasted that dessert, after which we felt incredibly guilty or pissed at ourselves for “blowing it”.  How about that bag of chips that mysteriously disappeared or the time you could have one cookie but ate three instead?  Yeah, you know what I’m talking about.  But just once, I’d like to eat whatever I want and not think or worry about what it’s doing inside my body.  JUST ONCE!  I don’t want to feel guilty about it so the best thing I can think of to do is take a vacation.  Who feels guilty while on vacation?

I’m not just doing this to indulge myself, although I think the break will do wonders for my stress levels, I am curious to see how it goes.  What will my fasting numbers be the next day?  Will I pig out or eat sensibly?  For those of you who are thinking that I’ll stock up on pizza, ice cream, sub sandwiches and bags of cookies, I will not stock the kitchen with anything but what we normally have on hand.  I promise. 

I will post my results the next day.  So, aloha!  Bon Voyage!  Arriva derche!  Wave to me as I sail off into diabetes oblivion!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.