Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dear Pancreas


For the first time I’ll be participating in the Diabetes Blog Week.  Each day this week I’ll be posting on a specific topic along with lots of other diabetes bloggers.  You can read these blogs here: Bitter~SweetToday’s topic is Letter Writing.

Dear Pancreas,

I felt it was time for the two of us talk.  I recently discovered that you are having a huge effect on my life.  You see, I’m a type 2 diabetic who was diagnosed nearly 6 years ago.  It wasn’t until recently that I even knew you existed!  I apologize for that.  I know that no one likes to feel like part of the wallpaper but that is just what you were to me for so long.  I mean, I knew I had a pancreas but did I know what you actually did?  Not really.  I didn’t even know where you lived until I recently looked you up online.  Wow, you are one busy gal!  Dual functions, really?  Exocrine, Endocrine, hormones, glucagon, insulin…Yikes!  I haven’t quite wrapped my head around it all but I’m impressed.

I know that I’ve ignored you for too long and I get the feeling that you’re sulking.  You’re acting out just like my grandsons do when they crave attention.  I understand but it leaves me wondering what I can do to fix things with you.  You see, I’d very much like to live a long, healthy life.  I have a wonderful husband, four grown children who make me proud every day, and 3 ½ grandkids who need me!  The list of things I’d like to do in my lifetime is endless so I’m hoping that you and I can come to some agreement.

I’ll tell you what: I will continue to educate myself about diabetes and what I can do to improve my health.  I’ll do my best to eat a more healthy diet, exercise, take my meds and pamper you all I can.  In return I’m asking you to give me a break.  Give those remaining beta cells a rest now and then.  Play nicely with my liver.  Let’s all work together as a team once again!  I promise that I’ll do my part.  Is it a deal?

Sincerely,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.