Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dangerous

This may come as a shock to some of you but I don’t know everything.  There are actually lots of things I know nothing about.  I’m sorry to disappoint.  The purpose of this blog has been to help keep myself focused on my diabetes care.  If, along the way, someone actually reads it and gleans anything from it I’ll be quite pleased.  Just this weekend I had a comment from Natalie on my post “Just Call Me Fido” in response to my assertion that a low carb diet is dangerous.  In all fairness I need to rethink my blog post and respond.

It was in my post “One Size Does Not Fit All” where I talk about low carb diets.  Here is what I said: “I have recently been reading a lot about the low carb approach to controlling diabetes.  This diet includes high protein and fat intake to offset the lack of carbohydrates.  (The Atkins diet is a good example of this type of diet)  There are apparently quite a few diabetics who follow this regimen and are having good results; weight loss and better controlled blood sugars.  Good for them! Will I be trying this approach?  No, I won’t.  Why not, you may ask?  I think it’s dangerous.

Dangerous was most likely the wrong word to use when referring to low carb diets.  You see, I was generalizing and that’s not always a good thing to do.  Natalie had some very good points in her comment.  (You can see Natalie’s comment here:  Just Call Me Fido)  It is definitely possible to follow a low carb diet and remain healthy.   Lowering carb intake can help diabetics control their blood glucose.  My experiment with mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes is a prime example.  I was amazed at the results!  So here is my retraction: Low carb diets are not dangerous provided a good nutritional balance is achieved.

Now I’d like to explain why I used the term dangerous in the first place.  I had read some posts on a diabetic community website where people spoke of eating lots of eggs and bacon for breakfast and a massive steak for dinner. The focus seemed to be on protein and fat in large quantities.  THAT is dangerous.  I failed to realize that not all people following a low carb diet are eating just protein and fat.  Healthy amounts of vegetables are certainly being consumed as well.  I suppose what’s really dangerous is assuming. :-)

I think the main point is that we should all be following a well-balanced diet, regardless of whether or not we’re diabetic.  Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that there is an easy way to lose weight or only one way to fight diabetes.  Most of all, don’t listen to only one side of the debate!  It’s important to research and listen to other ideas.  I have certainly learned something through all this.  Thank you Natalie for “calling me out”.  I appreciate your comment and the fact that it made me stop and think about what I’d said.  It wasn’t fair.  I hope my attempt at retraction has been fairer.

In closing I’d like to say that I’m impressed by, and jealous of, those people who successfully follow a healthy low carb diet.  I am not convinced that I can do it.  I plan to try lowering my carb intake even more but I doubt I’ll ever get to the point where I’m consuming less than 50 g of carbs per day.  It’s just not in me…I love me some carbs!  Who knows, maybe someday I’ll be posting about how that’s changed.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Kate, thanks for taking my comment seriously. :-) I don't do extreme low carb, but I do aim for 60g of carbs a day, which is far lower than the 135 or so that the ADA recommends for someone my size. I don't always meet that goal, and I DO indulge at times but at my last checkup, my A1c was 6.3, and my lipids were the best I've ever had in my life. And I'm glad you were able to see what I was saying about the vegetables -- there are SO many low-carb vegetables, and the vegetables give you nutrition and the protein and fat give you nutrition, and more important, satiety. With this approach, I have lost those stubborn 15 lb. that I have carried since I was in my early 40's (I'm now 63), and that feels really good too! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.