Saturday, May 21, 2011

Building a Foundation


Our house was built in the Roaring 20’s on a rock foundation.  A rock foundation is simply piled-up rocks mortared together to make a wall on which the house is built.  It’s easy to think that this type of foundation is “rock solid” but after 80-plus years the mortar had crumbled.

Our house is on the side of the hill, corner lot, with a beautiful view.  This hill location means that the house is off the ground in the front by at least 10 feet.  Picture this: an 80-plus year old house perched precariously on top of a crumbling rock wall.  Makes you feel a wee bit unsteady, eh?  Welcome to our world.  There were so many projects that we wanted to start around the house but we kept thinking that we needed to get the foundation fixed first.  The crumbling foundation was keeping us from making progress.

We were finally able to find a contractor who actually wanted to work.  He and his crew descended on our abode this week and now, voila!, we are again on sound footing.  It looks great!  They were able to keep the integrity of the house’s style and give us a strong foundation, once again.

I was pondering what to blog about next as I looked out the window at the workers when it hit me; Building a Foundation would be the title of my next post.  So how does an 80 year-old rock foundation jive with my life with diabetes?  I could think of lots of ways.

Life with diabetes is like building a house.  You have to learn so much about this disease and how to live with it.  The research and information you gather is the base of your diabetes foundation, but that’s just the beginning.  You can’t just get the information; you have to do something with it.  So the next building block is a plan.  You create your plan with the help of your doctor (and dietician if you have one).  Your plan should include what to eat, how often to test, what medications to take and, last but not least, regular exercise.  Now you have to put your plan into action!  Your diabetes won’t improve unless you actually take action.  

So now you have this great foundation upon which to live with your diabetes but there is one more, very important thing we all need: the mortar.  Your foundation will crumble into a heap without the mortar.  I think the mortar for my diabetes foundation is friends.  Friends are the glue that holds it all together.  Where would we be without the support of our friends and family?  This support can come from the people you live with, your extended family, your friends and don’t forget about your online community!  Finding someone who understands what you’re going through with diabetes is priceless.  We all need someone to vent to or rejoice with; someone who understands.

Writing this post has reminded me that I do have a strong foundation on which to live with diabetes.  I’ve educated myself and will continue to do so.  I have a plan, which will change as time goes on, but it’s a plan.  I’m working that plan to the best of my ability and I have wonderful friends and family who support me throughout my journey.  I have a strong foundation; now I can go on to do so many other things.  My "projects" don't have to be on hold because of diabetes, the foundation is there for me to build upon.  I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.