Friday, April 15, 2011

Shake It Up, Baby!

“What shall we have for dinner tonight?”  “I don’t know let’s look at the list of options.” “Uhhh.  Hmmmm….well, I guess we could have that but didn’t we just have that the other day?” “No, we had the other thing but they are very similar.”  “How about….dang, I don’t know!  Just close your eyes and pick something.”

I enjoy cooking, except when I don’t want to.  I should have been born rich instead of so good looking; then I could employ a cook to prepare meals on those days when I don’t feel like it.  Maybe they could even decide what to cook so I wouldn’t have to think about it.  Naw, that doesn’t sound good either.  Food is too important to me to leave the decisions up to someone else.  I am, after all, a food-aholic.  (just check out my post Confession for proof.)  So what is the solution?  I’ve decided that I need to shake up our menu a bit (and quit whining about having to cook). 

One of my saviors from early in my diagnosis was Diabetic Living Magazine.  I LOVE that magazine!  (If you follow my blog you probably already figured that out.  I should get a commission for promoting the magazine so often.) Not only does it contain great, informative articles, but the recipes are heaven-sent.  It’s so nice to see that I can eat just about anything if I tweak the recipe some to compensate for my wacky pancreas.  As soon as the new edition arrives, I thumb through it and dog-ear the pages that contain recipes that interest me.   In an effort to shake it up, I recently sat down with my stack of old copies and looked through them again.  I was amazed at how much my tastes have changed over the years!  It was actually kind of funny that the majority of recipes that I marked way back when were for desserts.  Cookies, cakes, pies…..anything sweet!  I guess I was a bit freaked out about missing my goodies.  As I looked back through the recipes in those early editions I found lots of recipes for entrees that were quite appealing.  I completely missed them the first time around (or just couldn’t see the lasagna for the cookies).  

There are lots of other places to look for recipes.  The Interweb makes it possible to search for all manner of things, including recipes.  Who needs cookbooks?  You don’t have to limit yourself to diabetic recipes either.  Learn how to tweak “regular” recipes to fit your food plan.  I’ve mentioned before how that’s possible.  You can substitute healthier proteins and oils as well as lower carb pastas etc.  (ie: Dreamfield pasta, yum!)  

The point is that you should shake it up now and then and try something new.  Don’t let your menu become boring!  If you’re not much of a cook there are other ways you can shake things up.  Next time you’re at the store, look closely at the options in front of you.  Instead of swooshing through the aisles, picking up the same old stuff, stop and read the labels on something different.  Even though frozen entrees aren’t always the best bet you can still have them now and then.  I have found a few favorites that are lower in carbs and fat.  You just need to read the labels.  Lean Cuisine has a Chicken Pasta Primavera that I really like.  It contains 30 carbs and 1.5 g of saturated fat.  I’ll eat one of those for lunch sometimes just to have something different.  Just watch how often you consume those types of things because they can be higher in sodium.

So, what should we have for dinner tonight?  I don’t know yet but I’m thinking it will be something yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.