Friday, March 4, 2011

Number Envy


There are a lot of things in this world that can cause us to experience envy.  Envy is not pretty but we all have it from time to time.  We can’t help it.  I sometimes suffer from what I’m going to call “Number Envy”.  This is the envy of someone else’s excellent fasting blood sugar reading.   

I follow the Diabetic Living Magazine Facebook page.  (Love this magazine!) Each Wednesday we are encouraged to share our fasting blood sugar readings.  Many people participate and it’s a good thing.  There is lots of cheering for those who have their blood sugar well under control and support and encouragement for those who don’t.    I highly recommend this type of group support.  No one knows better than another PWD what it’s like to see 137 on your meter first thing in the morning when you swear you were good!

In my last post I vented about my frustration over recent high fasting numbers.  I went from below 100 to over 130 and couldn’t figure out why.  Well yesterday I went to see my new doctor.  My previous doctor had left and I needed to “start over” with someone else.  I won’t bore you with the details but I felt that the appointment was a success!  I think I’ll be happy with this doctor.  I like how she thinks and her approach to my situation.

I asked her about my high morning readings and whether or not I should be concerned.  Guess what?  She told me to calm down and not worry.  You see, I’m in my mid 50’s and dealing with menopause.  All the different hormones in my body are fluctuating and fighting and trying to figure out how best to handle things.  THAT is more than likely what is causing this issue.  It’s not anything I’ve done or not done!!  Phew!  As much as I’d like to be in control, I can’t be in this particular situation.  What can I do?  I can continue to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. 

Comparing my FBS to other people’s is just wrong thinking.  Each of us is different and we are all combating our condition in different ways.  I am on a fairly low dose of Metformin.  I do not take insulin or any other meds (at least not yet).  My A1c was 6.4 and I’m doing just fine!  Who knows, maybe not stressing about my morning numbers can help them be lower...maybe?  It's certainly worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.