Sunday, March 27, 2011

Confession


Hello, my name is Kate and I’m a food-aholic.  I’ve been addicted to food since, well, forever.  Maybe it was that first taste of ice cream my mother gave me in my highchair or those potato chips nestled beside my PBJ that got me hooked.  I can’t say for sure but there it is.  

I’ve tried stopping food cold turkey (mmmm…doesn’t that sound good?) but failed miserably.  So now I’m on the “food in moderation” plan but it can be so difficult!  Do you know that everywhere you look there’s food?  Just try watching tv without seeing a commercial that includes some scrumptious food item that you simply HAVE to try!  Have you been to the store lately?  The dang thing is chock full of FOOD!  Those people should be arrested.  I’ve secretly began calling the local Safeway manager “pusher”.  She seems like a nice lady but underneath that sweet exterior is the face of the devil!  How in the world do they expect me to kick this habit if they keep throwing it in my face? (that brings to mind a pie in the face game at the fair.  I think I’ll sign up)

Now before someone gets their panties in a twist about how I’m belittling true addictions, let me just say that I’m fully aware of how horrible an addiction can be.  I’ve seen alcoholism up close and personal (no, not me) and it’s not a pretty sight. We’ve all read articles and seen shows that depict drug addiction and how it can ruin a person’s life.  I feel for these people and can imagine what a horrible life that must be, but you know what?  I almost feel sorrier for us food-aholics! Think about it; an alcoholic can eventually live without booze.  Once the habit is kicked, they never again have to drink alcohol.  They may want to for the rest of their lives, but if they don’t drink they won’t die.  A food-aholic on the other hand can’t live without food!  Just try it, I dare you.  I predict that you won’t succeed in this lifetime. (haha).  I wish I didn’t think about food all the time. 

My mother has never driven a car.  Soon after I graduated from high school she gave me the down payment on my first car (a sweet, used VW bug).  There was a catch: I had to drive her to town whenever she wanted to go.  (We are required to drive 30 miles in order to get our shopping fix).  There we were, heading up the hill out of town.  We’d look at each other and in unison say: “Where shall we have lunch!?” I tell you, it’s a curse.  

Please don’t feel bad for me.  There’s hope!  You see, I would very much like to live to a ripe old age.  Not only that, I want to be as healthy as possible with all my appendages intact.  I’d like to be able to read a book and go for a walk with my great-grandchildren.  I want to sit on the deck with my sweet husband and watch the sunset. (note to self: build that deck.)  Therefore, I’m committed to living with my addiction.  I will browse the veggie section of my local store and curb my cravings for cookies.  I will envision little horns on top of each cake in the bakery department (even the angel food for now).   I know that I can have a small treat now and then.  I know that I can have most things in moderation.  For now I need to keep it simple and keep it healthy.  You know that commercial for Lay's potato chips, "No one can eat just one!"  that would be me.  I suck at stopping at just one of anything that I shouldn't over indulge in.  I can do this! Food-aholics unite!

2 comments:

  1. My suggestions would be these:

    Get a referral to see a Certified Diabetes Educator/Dietitian to help you come up with a meal plan that will best help you set up a meal plan (or as I like to call it, a "game plan") on how much you should eat for each meal/snack of the day. This will help give you a basic guideline and help you set up for my next suggestion...

    Put yourself on a "food budget". Once you meet with the dietitian and find out how much food you should eat in a day, it will give you a ballpark idea of how to figure out how much food to buy each week (or ever two weeks, however often you go grocery shopping). When making out your shopping list, write at the top of your list the $$ amount you set aside for your food budget each week/bimonthly. If you shop weekly, you could get by with a $100-$150 food budget (or less if your only feeding yourself and your husband). If your shopping bi-monthly, you can get by with a $200 food budget (this is even overshooting it if your feeding more than just yourself and your husband, honestly, as I have a family of 4, 2 small kids (one with T1 Diabetes), plus myself and my husband to feed, and we spend about $200 every two weeks on food). By putting yourself on a food budget, you will burn into your brain eventually that you don't have the money to blow on "junk food", ultimately making yourself NOT buy those cakes and cookies, causing your body to grow used to not having them around, curb the cravings. And, with the help of a dietician, she will be able to tell you how many carbs, proteins, and fats you are allotted per meal/snack that will, not only help you manage optimum blood sugar control, but also help you to lose weight. Once you have that meal plan from your dietician, follow it to a T so that eventually your body becomes used to eating smaller portions. Make sure you measure/weigh out your foods also to ensure you are eating the correct amounts, as "eyeballing" things can be inaccurate, even for the best of "eye-ballers" LOL!

    A lot of will-power will be involved in this adventure your on as well. When I quit smoking for 15 months (yeah, I broke down one day and started smoking again, more because of the constant daily migraines for 15 solid months that I was having because of withdraws moreso than "cravings"). Anyway, when I quit smoking for 15 months, I found that, in the beginning of that adventure, when I did have cravings, walking helped me to beat those cravings. Keeping my mind on something else, helped me to beat the cravings. Try finding a hobby that you can do, and when you start having a craving for food when you shouldnt eat, or foods you're deeming you "cant have", pick up that hobby and do it until the craving passes. At first it may be hard, and the craving may linger longer than you would think (atleast it did for me with quitting smoking at first), but, the more you keep doing it, and making a concious effort to replace the energy you would normally use for chewing food and put it into something you enjoy (gardening perhaps?), the easier, and less frequent those cravings will become. Just as defeating any other addiction, whether its drugs, alcohol, smoking, or food, its all about "rewiring" your brain processes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn! Those are great suggestions. This is one of those situations where I know what to do, just can't seem to do it all the time. Sigh. I had hoped that blogging about it would not only motivate me but maybe shed a bit of humor on the subject. I greatly admire moms like you who are fighting this battle for their children. Hard, hard work.

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.