Saturday, February 26, 2011

and so it begins....

Welcome to my world.  I begin this blog as a way to help myself stay on track with the control of my diabetes.  If, along the way, I’m able to encourage, interest or assist fellow diabetics then I’ll be quite pleased.  I’m also hoping that non-diabetics can learn something as well.  We can all benefit from a more informed approach to eating and it is helpful if those who aren’t living and breathing this way of life understand more of what we’re going through. I am NOT a doctor, dietician or expert.  Do I know everything there is to know about diabetes?  Heck no, but I do know what it’s like to live with it.
So here I go!

My name is Kate and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in June, 2005.  Has it really been nearly 6 years?  Wow.  Needless to say, it was a huge shock.  My paternal grandmother had diabetes late in life and I have a sister-in-law who was diagnosed with Type 1 in junior high school, but I didn’t really know that much about the disease.  Disease. I have a disease!  It was discovered with a routine blood test by my gynecologist.  She called me on the phone and dropped the bomb, “you should see your regular doctor as soon as possible”.  I didn’t have a regular doctor!  I felt fine!  I made an appointment.

Maybe it’s a mistake. How many out there thought that at first?  Go ahead, raise your hand.  “Surely this can’t be correct.” “Maybe they called the wrong person.”  “Doctors don’t know everything, do they?” Well, it wasn’t a mistake.  I wish I could remember what my first A1c result was.  I know it was under 7 but not by much.  I started out following the diet and exercise routine.  As I blog I will talk about my experiences and what I’ve learned along the way.  I hope you join me in my journey.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kate - I was also diagnosed in 2005 - shortly before my 29th birthday. Glad to see more type 2 bloggers out there! I blog about mine at http://www.diabetesdaily.com/baumgartel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel! Thanks for commenting. I'll check out your blog too. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this and I'm pretty excited. So nice to have support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,

    I have now read your blog from end to beginning. You've been dealing with the big D for much longer than I (I suppose I am still a zealot). I'd like to invite you to join us at DD (diabetesdaily.com). You write well and I'm sure you'd spice up the place.

    My kindest regards.

    Boatner

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.